Monday, May 31, 2010

Looking up in Toranomon

Lunch break photo walks are hard; almost nothing looks good with the midday sun directly overhead. I started doing these because I think I need more time behind the camera and finding a good photo in a limited amount of time in difficult lighting conditions with only one lens to choose from can be good practice.

(I bring only a single prime lens for my week-day practice shoots. Usually it's the EF 24mm f/2.8 because that lens is small and light and fits in my bag nicely, but today I brought my EF 35mm f/1.4L)

But I've already walked all over Akasaka, and taken pretty much every photo that can be taken within walking distance from my building on a one hour lunch break. The images are starting to blur together and I'm beginning to hate myself for taking so many pictures of flowers.

So I decided to hop a train and go somewhere close and within the range of my commuter pass. I took the Ginza line to Toranomon. I never go to Toranomon these days, but it sounds cool so I decided to give it a try.

I wandered off the main drag and into the side streets. The stories of a city are told in the side streets. And even in the middle of the day, side streets are dark - hiding in the shadows of tall buildings. If there's a cool photo to be found in the middle of the day, you can bet that its hiding down a side street.

But this time I really couldn't find anything interesting.  And then I looked up.  Apparently, some of the most interesting views in Toranomon are straight up.  There are all kinds of options for playing with geometric shapes and lines when you have tall buildings, and a cloudless sky.  Cool.













All images © 2010 by Jason Weddington. Contact me at the_wandering_eye [at] yahoo [dot] com for usage or licensing requests.

No comments:

Post a Comment